Monday, August 29, 2011

All Aglow with Bioluminescence

Brad has a penchant for peeing off our swim platform. A harmless hobby, I suppose, as long as one doesn't fall overboard. Were it not for this quirky habit of his, we probably never would have noticed the incredible beauty awaiting us below.

One night Brad yelled, "Come out here! Come out here!" Being the obedient wife that I am, I said "Why?" (I was comfortably ensconced on the couch, happily reading my Kindle, cozy and loathe to move.) "You just gotta see this!" he said. (Like I haven't seen him peeing before???) Okay already. So I got up and came outside. He was right. It was AWESOME!

By the time I got there he had run out of urine and so was spraying the stern hose across the water. The surface lit up with a beautiful blue-green glow. Cool! We got out a kayak paddle and slapped the water with it, making mesmerizing, glowing splash patterns, delighting us both. We were giggling like 10-year olds! Such fun!

Now each night, I ask for a full report when Brad goes out for his pee. So far the dinoflagellates have only deigned to favor us with two nights of light shows, but we'll keep checking and hoping for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment